Monday, October 24, 2011

Connected

Today the internet came on and the phone works and I can post without resorting to a Starbucks' wifi spot. Just couldn't do it. Why do all Starbucks' smell like burnt milk and diasappointment?

Things are coming together. The Halifax Pop Explosion rocked Halifax and I got to rock a bit myself to Montreal band The Suuns (http://secretlycanadian.com/artist.php?name=suuns) at the Olympic Centre on Saturday night. Techno trance-y I fell in love with their sexy beats and roomie Tati was in heaven. I am starting to see familiar faces even if I don't know all the names yet, and there's a definite comfort to Halifax that I have been missing. Where else would I find myself in a new African restaurant on Gottigen where new friends Shelley and Ann would keep me company, drink coffee and eat cookies? I mean these amazing women make food and art, shared their creative voices, gave me directions and made me feel at home. I guess I am, home, that is.

Last night was AFCOOP's film screening of their One Minute Film Program ( http://afcoop.ca/) featured at the Bus Stop Theatre (http://www.thebusstoptheatre.org/). It was a great night with an assortment of a dozen films on a variety of topics, love, poverty, environmental issues, war, waiting, cake and fatal spaghetti. I got to meet some great guys waiting in line and the film makers were sweet. I am looking forward to meeting some of the organizers to get some input on renting equipment for my movie Trailer Trash.



Trailer Trash, how I love you. The script is now complete and with working internet magic I will be sending it out to my beautiful actors. I have really had fun with this project so far, through many re-writes and efforts to make the characters interact just *so* I've decided I really want to get my actors in a room and see what they can do. I believe in the power of improv. And fake blood. I need to make buckets of the stuff.

This past week I also got to go hang out at The Hub (http://thehubhalifax.ca/)with lovely friend Gia and hosts Brent and Julia. I think this is a wonderful space to work for all sorts of artists and freelancers. I mean I saw two guys with beards, two laptops and two beer looking completely blissed out at 4pm on a Friday afternoon. Count me in.

This upcoming Thursday I will be spending the evening with lovely writers as part of the Wired Monks Writers Group (http://dinawrite.weebly.com/wired-monk-writers.html). Last time I shared some spoken word ("Baby Mama Lit" and "Things") and I think this time I'll share a story or two from my neighbourhood collection, which I have decided to call (despite its potential complications) "Mother of three killed in front of house while trying to rescue dog" and other stories of the neighbourhood. I mean, its a grab, right?

Now that the internet is in my very capable hands I will also be posting some items to my Etsy shop MarMade. I have some knit, jewellery and magnets to post. I will let you know when its all ready for visitors - gotta get some models to pose for me.

Big hugs. Love each other.
Mar

No comments:

Post a Comment